Kids' Birthday Party Planning 101
Have you ever wanted to host a fabulous birthday party for your child at your home but found yourself quickly overwhelmed by the logistics? Check out our handy timeline to keep you on track (and less stressed!) for your upcoming event!
5-6 weeks before
- Decide on a date for the party.
- Research and select a party theme with your child.
- Determine a budget. Creating a simple Excel spreadsheet can help you to track expenses.
- Come up with a guest list with your child.
3-4 weeks before
- Send out invitations (paper or online). Be sure to include the start and end time of the party, your name, phone number, address and the party theme. Request that guests RSVP by one week prior to the event.
- Plan themed games and activities for party.
- Decide on what food to serve (snacks, pizza, drinks).
- Decide on a cake to make or purchase.
- Shop for tableware, game/activity supplies, decorations and favor bags.
- Come up with a basic party schedule. For example, a 90 minute party might consist of a 15 minute icebreaker activity, 30 minute creative activity, 15 minute game and 30 minute celebration with cake/refreshments.
- Ask for other adults to help out at the party (1 adult per 4 or 5 kids is a good ratio).
1 week before
- Follow up with parents who have not yet RSVP’d.
- Put favor bags together.
- Inventory all game and activity supplies. Purchase any missing items.
- Purchase food/drinks, and order cake if applicable.
1 Day Before
- Clean party area, make sure valuables are out of children’s reach.
- Make, frost and decorate cake (or pick it up from vendor).
- Prepare snacks.
- Set out party activity supplies.
- Decorate the party area.
- Set table.
Day of the party
- Set out food and drink.
- Take photos of the party set-up before guests arrive and during the party.
- Watch your child enjoy a magical and memorable experience!!